Saturday, June 6, 2009

"Some" Americans Abroad


Yesterday I had some American redneck approach me as if we are buddies. Apparently someone tipped him off that I too am an American.

What never ceases to amaze me overseas is that the same type of American who would have nothing to do with me in the US, suddenly behaves like a kindred spirit overseas. Not a chance! I don't gravitate toward rednecks in the states and I won't do it abroad. Sure, there is something to be said for seeing a fellow American in a faraway land. But don't come off like we are old buds when in the states we would consider each other a virtual menace.

Might I be a little harsh to a redneck's overture of friendliness? Perhaps, but consistency is a virtue that I respect. Furthermore, I have often sensed the underlying class tensions in my interactions with people of this ilk, friendly overtures notwithstanding.

So if you see me in another country. Don't come up to chat unless you would be inclined to do the same in the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment