Thursday, January 15, 2009

Expat Field Report: Singapore

This week I'm visiting Singapore. What strikes me first is the modernity and development of this place. These are people that take pride in their small country and it shows.

The most striking difference is the Singaporean women. Most are thin, cheerful, courteous gems that are all too hospitable to the obvious foreigner that is me. I see a few American women walking around as if they are in the wrong galaxy. They are rushed, frumpy, sour-faced, and all but ignored by the local men.

American women tend to believe the Hollywood hype, that they are among the most desirable women in the world. This is a media-perpetuated myth. In actuality, they are among the most reviled and ridiculed yet they would not know it.

Thank you Singapore for showing me society that is dignified, educated, and respect-worthy. I will enjoy the remainder of my stay for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment