Saturday, January 10, 2009

America, Where Politeness Is Considered Weakness.

I'm currently visiting Australia, and I spend a considerable amount of time in Europe. What strikes me most when visiting other countries is how politeness is still of social value. Yes, all countries have their share of rude troglodytes, but America seems to take it to a new level.

I believe the media plays a role in this behavior. All one has to do is see Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Neil Cavuto, or some other rambunctious host cutting off his or her guests, shouting platitudes. And by no means is this an affliction of conservative types. Just watch Gloria Allred, Al Sharpton, or some other leftist in action.

One thing I like about Obama, and I don't like several things about him, is that he is a polite, polished and well-spoken American who is respect worthy. Maybe he can bring the concept of interpersonal civility back to the country that I love, but left.

No comments:

Post a Comment